On October 15, all roads – paved or otherwise – will lead to Syracuse and the NYS Highway & Public Works Expo in the Verizon Center of Progress building at the New York State Fairgrounds.
And to top it off, the show is sold out with 100 exhibitors – all ready to speak with you about their products, which can help make your jobs a lot easier. This one-day Expo will prove to be a one-stop “research and shopping” Mecca, covering more than 75,000 square feet – inside and outside.
Speaking of outside, you should begin fine-tuning your skills for the Snowplow Roadeo. Here’s how it will work:
• Between 8:30 a.m. and 11 a.m., fill out your entry forms and deposit them in the “fish bowl,” which will be prominently displayed near the entrance of the show.
• Promptly at 11 a.m., a judge will randomly select five teams from all the entries. One team per department and one team per county only, please!
• At 11:15 a.m., listen to the public address announcement to find out if your team has been selected.
• If you’ve been chosen, get ready for orientation! There, you’ll draw – in the order your name was called— a slip of paper with your plow truck’s description (all wing plow).
• Then you’ll be shown around the course with an explanation of the objective and scoring system. Listen carefully and ask your questions now because once you sign off on the rules and so forth, there’ll be no more instruction, no advice, nothing!
• At noon, the competition begins with Team 1; Team 2 begins at 12:15 p.m. and so on until Team 5 starts at 1 p.m.
• Upon conclusion of the Roadeo, trophies will be awarded to the top three finishers. Conciliation prizes will be given to the fourth and fifth place finishers.
There you have it. And who knows, maybe there’ll even be some real snow to contend with on October 15 … just kidding, I hope.
Now on to this month’s profile, which is on the Commissioner of Public Works for the City of Yonkers, John Liszewski, who just recently ran for mayor of the city!
Look forward to seeing all of you at the Expo.